*Please note that with the recent decision striking down Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act many of the resources provided below are no longer accurate. Though new resources will be posted here soon, we urge you to seek additional assistance from Immigration Equality, including by reading the information available here, or by visiting our legal clinics, our attorney referral service or by consulting other organizations who are linked to from our site before making any decisions. Also, developments in this area are occurring rapidly and may vary widely from one jurisdiction to another.
HIV / AIDS
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection Removed from CDC List of Communicable Diseases of Public Health Significance (by: U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
- End of the HIV Travel and Immigration Ban (by: Immigration Equality)
- The Challenges To Successful Lesbian Asylum Claims (by: National Center for Lesbian Rights)
- Asylum-Related Information (by: Immigration Equality) Includes information on seeking asylum, what to do if you've won asylum, and withholding and removal and the Convention Against Torture.
Criminal / Police
- Know Your Rights: What To Do If..... (by: the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California). Also available in Spanish
Families & Couples
- Information Specific to Families & Couples (by: Immigration Equality) Includes information concerning deciding whether to marry and/or move as well as information for binational couples and dual foreign national couples
- Applying for Asylum Based on Gender Identity Persecution (by: Transgender Law Center)